May 15, 2023
Just like the name says, sequin yarn is a kind of fashionable fancy yarn with sequins attached. As a common knitting yarn, this yarn is so pretty with the sequins and favored by many fashion brands, designers and customers.
Sequin yarns are available in solids, variegated, and hand dyes - all have a strand of sequins running throughout. There are many kinds of sequin yarns according to different component, for example, cotton sequin yarn, polyester sequin yarn, viscose sequin yarn, acrylic sequin yarn and so on. Most of these yarns are blended yarns and can be seen in many yarn shops or sewing shops.
It is an interesting thing to add a bit of sparkle and shine to your knitted items with sequined yarns. Glittering with sequins, this kind of yarn is ideal for shawls, cowls, hats and other accessories that sparkle. It is also suitable for knitting sweaters that catch the light.
How do you add sequins to yarn?
1、Cut a length of yarn, leaving a tail of about 2 inches at the beginning and end.
2、Take the sequin and thread the yarn through the loop at the top of the sequin.
3、Pull the sequin up the yarn, close to the previous stitch, leaving a loop of yarn at the top.
4、Tie the two ends of the loop in a knot to secure the sequin in place.
5、Repeat the process with the remaining sequins, spacing them out evenly along the length of the yarn.
Note: Some sequins have holes in the center, while others have loops on top. Make sure to choose the right type of sequin for your project and adjust the method accordingly.
How do you knit with sequin yarn?
Knitting with sequin yarn can add a touch of sparkle and glamour to your projects, but it can be a bit trickier to work with than regular yarn. Here are some tips to help you knit with sequin yarn:
● Choose the right needles: Depending on the thickness of your sequin yarn, you may need to use larger needles than you would with regular yarn. This will help you avoid snagging the sequins and make it easier to see your stitches.
● Pay attention to the sequins: Sequins can be fragile and may break if pulled too hard. When you come to a sequin in your knitting, make sure it's positioned properly before you knit around it. You may need to use your fingers to adjust the sequin as you go.
● Use the right stitch: Some stitches are better suited to sequin yarn than others. Stockinette stitch and garter stitch are good choices because they don't require a lot of handling of the yarn. Lace and cable stitches may be more challenging to work with because they require more manipulation of the yarn.
● Be patient: Knitting with sequin yarn can take a little more time and patience than knitting with regular yarn. Take your time and work slowly to avoid mistakes.
● Practice: If you're new to knitting with sequin yarn, it's a good idea to practice on a small project first, such as a swatch or a small accessory. This will help you get a feel for how the yarn behaves and how to handle the sequins.
With a little practice and patience, you can create beautiful, sparkling projects with sequin yarn.